Thursday 6 August 2015



 

She doesn't even need an introduction...

'Twas the anniversary of her death yesterday but I've not had my phone most of the day as it was at the store, and when I did have it it failed to upload. >.> yay, technology. But I digress...

So yes, Marilyn died on 05/09/62 aged 36... It's sad she didn't live longer but at the same time, she had a hard life and she suffered a lot mentally, physically & in love... The worst three ways to suffer rolled into one. I guess she didn't really get a chance to bounce back- she was gone before she could. She suffered a lot but I'm sure she's found peace and comfort now. It's a crazy, scary and cold planet we live on but I think she'll thrive away from all of the negativity she left behind.   

Regardless of what happened, she left an iconic artistic legacy that is still just as strong today. She helped to put curvy girls on the map which is great! (Please remember though that all girls in all shapes & sizes are beautiful though, not just curvy ones)

 I feel like thanks to Marilyn & her style & shape, it's easier for girls with curves to get clothes now as she inspired top designers and people from all over! It wasn't solely Marilyn, but her influence is undeniable. She shaped the 60's fashion for sure. 

It would be a pretty rubbish world if all dresses and clothes were straight- in the UK at least, they usually are but every so often you get that dress for the hourglass figure, or to give the illusion of a 60's hourglass Marilyn figure. I wish there were more though, and clothes for other body shapes too like pear, apple & a plethora of other ones that are too plentiful for me to list!

This leads me to my next point I was going to discuss today which is body diversity in clothing... Marilyn made a ripple but there's far more to be done, and let's be honest, she had tailors. Even she couldn't get clothes from the store to fit!

People come in all shapes and sizes yet clothes are one shape fits all? I smell bullshit. And one thing that irks me no end is underwear- an absolute essential and foundation for a woman's wardrobe is limited in standard (and some non-standard) shops when it comes to bras. Underwear too, but you can conceal that a bit better or just not wear any (ladies, go cotton or pant less to minimise chances of getting a yeast infection). However, if your boobs are falling out of your bra and not supporting you, you can't hide that or hide from the discomfort it causes. It's also not comfortable to go out with no bra on if you've got bigger beasts so you can't really win. You've got to find the perfect fit. 

But there's a catch... If you've got a small frame, don't expect standard stores/ bikini sections to have anything above a C or maybe a if they're feeling adventurous D/DD. If you want anything bigger than a DD, you move into the DD+ section which is code for 'ugly version of the smaller prettier bras'. This sucks majorly if you are curvy or a weird size as you'll have to spend like three times as much on a bra that mightn't always be as nice as the smaller ones because they don't manufacture your size in mainstream shops. Don't get me wrong, you can get nice bigger bras, it's just not as easy and cheap... You have to know where to look & it's hit & miss. 

Also I don't know about you ladies that may be reading this, but I have found that every time I go to the lingerie section/ store and ask what size they go up to in smaller band sizes, if they don't have what I need, they assume I don't know the size of my own chest, measure me, and I end up being the size I asked for to begin with. Literally every bloody time. It's so fucking annoying and a complete waste of time. 

I went into Calvin Klein underwear today (the brand that called a skinnier than average model plus sized) and the sizing thing happened again as usual but also, whilst I was browsing a worker was telling me my waist was probably too big for a small sports bra. My waist is 25 inches. If I am too small for a small there, I'm not even sure what size they are catering to because a 25" waist is a size 0. Like wtf? Unless the lady thought I looked bigger which is entirely possible and also somewhat insulting (my cropped vest top was not that loose)! I left shortly after and I'm not sure I'll be back. I'm leaving CK to men who have it far easier than us women and look great in CK's- it seems no sexy (or trying to be sexy) male picture is complete without the CK's peeking out! I could probably look great too if they made my size! As with other ladies who they don't cater to... It's crazy! I don't even have massive boobs, sizing can (in my experiences) be quite limited for women's underwear and I'm proof of that- as I'm sure many other women in the are too. 

But enough about underwear, let's jump to clothes very briefly as I went to look in some clothes shops & to my surprise they had some decently shaped dresses!

As a little tip, the clothes that give the illusion of an hourglass shape are the best for curvy girls as that's what will go very out and in where you want it to. They exaggerate the proportions to give the illusion of a shapely figure which is nice, and if your body already has that look naturally, it will fit quite nicely!  

However, you dress however you feel comfortable, and in what you want. I am only sharing my opinion here as I think clothes that are a nice fit for your body are lovely. I see with myself even that many people I know that haven't seen me in a dress assume I'm bigger than I am just because my clothes are usually a bit loose and that makes me look bigger >_>. 

To be honest, fitted clothing is hard to come by, and wearing fitted clothing can unfortunately draw a lot of unwanted attention to you as a female. We shouldn't have to cover up because of sleaze bags, but at the same time it's not something anyone would want to deal with often because it can be frightening & it doesn't feel good at all.

But ladies, it shouldn't stop you from embracing yourself when you want! Just honestly, be careful. It feels so so so wrong to type a warning because I shouldn't have to but it's needed. Some people can't control themselves. If they see someone that looks strong and confident they want to knock it down, because let's be honest... It's a power, machismo thing. 

This post is getting long so I'll end it here. I hope you enjoyed it & you learnt something. 

Stay fab, stay classy & stay bright!

Love always,

-Dalanda

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment