Monday 15 April 2013

"I wish my life and decisions to depend on myself, not on external forces of whatever kind. I wish to be the instrument of my own, not of other men's, acts of will. I wish to be a subject, not an object. To be moved by reasons, conscious purposes, which are my own, not by causes which affect me, as it were, from outside. I wish to be somebody, not nobody. A doer, deciding, not being decided for, self directed and not acted upon by external nature or by other men as if i were a thing, or an animal, or a slave incapable of playing a human role, that is of conceiving goals and policies of my own and realising them. This is at least part of what i mean when i say that i am rational, and that it is my reason that distinguishes me as a human being from the rest of the world. I wish, above all, to be conscious of myself as a thinking, willing, active being, bearing responsibility for my choices and able to explain them by reference to my own ideas and purposes. I feel free to the degree that i believe this to be true, and enslaved to the degree that i am made to realise that it is not."  
-  Berlin
 
Till next time,
 Love,
Dalanda xxx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment