Tuesday 2 April 2013

Le post about saxomaphones

Sooo as you may (or may not) know, I play the sax (yey!) Jazz- particularly blues is my fave genre to play and I love doing improvisation etc. I play in wind bands tho' so I usually end up playing contemporary or classical more than I'd perhaps like to, but playing in general is fun! :-) (I don't practise much! but I'll try and play more this summer so I can get better and better)

Recently, I was talking to my friend about saxes and complaining about how my mouthpiece and sax weren't any good for me- I rent my sax from the music academy so it's all Yamaha student model sax's and mouthpieces which I've outgrown. xD


Anyways I was telling her about these really sexy saxophones and she looked at me blankly and told me to show her, so I've decided to make this blogpost to show everyone including her! Even if you're not into music or musical instruments, I think you can still appreciate this as the sax in particular is sexy!


Anyways, here is my 'dream team' saxophone & mouthpiece set-up!(obviously geared towards the jazz side of things)


Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the P.Mauriat 67R Alto Saxophone with vintage laquer








Isn't she beautiful? Those keys and that beautiful laquer, and the sound is GORGEOUS, dark and sensual but you can also get a beautiful bright tone aswell! After hearing someone play with one, I was blown away, it looks and sounds simply phenomenal.

On to the mouthpiece, ligature and reed!


This is a Jody jazz HR



Another ingridient to a gorgeous sound,  it's a very bold and rich tone, I think together, the sax and that mouthpiece would be brilliant!

Then... the ligature! A Vandoren Optimum!



This is an interesting one, because it comes with interchangable plates so that you can have a dark, bright or edgy sound which I think is pretty darn cool as it would mean I'd be able change my tone according to what I need and for me personally, tone is SO important- it what makes a good sound great!  :-)

Last but not least, we have the reed! I'd go for my usual Rico select jazz in either 2S or 2M. The reed is what makes the saxophone a woodwind instrument and it's what produces the sound! Although Vandoren make their own reeds, I'm not a huge fan as they're quite stiff and often harder than the Ricos-which means they take longer to break in (play out the stiffness until they're more flexible and sound nicer),  I played with the vandoren select jazz in 2 1/2 which was OK, but nothing special.






Anyways,  there you have it! My dream team saxophone set up! I think together these components would sound absolutley eargasmic- With a good player ofc! ;-)


I hope you enjoyed this, and learned something new! :-)


Till next time!


Love,


Dalanda :-) xx







No comments:

Post a Comment